Adding Value to Ebooks – color figures

There’s a big continuing discussion about how much ebooks should cost and we continue to listen and learn. Beyond the price question though, what’s more interesting to me is what ebooks can do that print books can’t. Of course, searchability, portability, many other ebook features are well known. But adding value to ebooks is an important focus for us.

So, I’m happy to announce one small step we’re taking that’s available first in Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design. Although this book is printed in what publishers call 1 color (black – most readers call this black and white) the ebook is in color for the figures, like this:

We’ve rearranged a few steps in our book production workflow to accommodate this and on books where we do this going forward, color screen shots and figures will be the norm in any ebook format and device that supports color. We hope that for some readers, this extra value in the ebook will encourage ebook purchases. And we’ll continue looking for more ways to help you get more from your ebook purchases.

Tags:

Comments

7 responses to “Adding Value to Ebooks – color figures”

1. deoren says:

“we’ll continue looking for more ways to help you get more from your ebook purchases”

From what I remember reading, you guys allow 6 downloads of a title, but there isn’t a mention of whether the ebook will be updated with corrections from the errata list.

If you guys would offer the service of updating your ebooks with errata changes, and do away with the 6 download limit, that would really make the service more appealing.

2. C#Reader says:

I have to agree with deoren.

I would like to see unlimited downloads and a commitment to upgrade text. With an ebook there is very little reason to provide an erratta simply fix it and place a note indicating it has been fixed.

Also for new editions (not minor corrections) (i.e C# 4.0 vs C# 3.0) I would like to see an option that Oreilly provides. 50% off new edition to registered owners of previous edition (either ebook or physical book).

Color is great but LCD suck. It may be a couple years before we see low cost color eink displays. Still there are things publishers can do now to improve the existing product. The publisher who is the most ebook friendly will get the majority of my business.

3. non says:

agree with deoren and the idea of previous owners to upgrade with some discount from c#reader. and i still prefer to have ebooks in another format than just only pdf. i own samsung galaxy tab and found out that reading pdf file is not as easy as epub or mobi. by the way, having it in color in great option! love it.

4. non says:

5. One thing I would like to see in PDF ebooks is small margins!  I pull up a PDF on a reader, and there’s this huge blank R/L margin forcing me to view things much smaller than needed.  You should create a "small margin" version of your ebooks for viewing on iPads, etc.
    Otherwise, I’m glad to see more publishers moving away from DRM.
    Another thought — offer a free (or heavily discounted) ebook for people who buy the physical books.  Another publisher sells the ebook for $10 if you have the physical book.
    (Personally I think if Amazon wants to sell Kindles they should give out free Kindle copies of books when you buy the physical book from them!)

6. Steve H says:

Excellent idea from Stephen R – post before mine – if I knew that all my Amazon book purchases would give me free Kindle downloads for those books then I would not be writing this I would be on Amazon buying a kindle. I dont like the idea of buying the physical book and then paying for the ebook. Getting the physical book if you buy the ebook sounds good but practically might be a bad idea. However giving the ebook to physical book purchasers is a great idea and like i said if this were the case then i would have bought an ebook reader by now.

7. Geordon says:

I would be in favor or a very cheap (say not more than 10% of printed book) Kindle option with a physical purchase. For these kinds of books with lots of tables, charts, screen shots, and code, the printed text is generally preferred. However, being able to read on-the-go or search the text on a Kindle would be huge value-add. I am sure someone can figure a way to ensure the owner of the Kindle copy still has the physical copy through some periodic "license renewal" scheme, if you are worried about someone buying the bundle, then selling the physical media, just to get a discounted eBook.