More than 60 Wrox DRM-free ebooks available

Today we’re thrilled to announce that Wrox has more than 60 first 24  DRM-free PDF ebooks are available for purchase from Wrox.com. Updated: We’ve been adding to this list of available DRM-free books for several months now. Please check back often for all the newest available books. Updated Dec 2010: Please see the news about the new wrox.com DRM-free PDF ebook prices!

Here’s the list of DRM-free ebooks available today:

When you buy one of these ebooks, please note that the Wrox ebook terms and conditions are all the way at the bottom of the "important ebook information page". At the bottom of the page you’ll find this, which is what you want to read if you want to know more about our ebook PDF policies:

Wrox e-books sold from Wrox.com and Wiley.com are sold with different requirements and restrictions as described here.

Tags:

Comments

116 responses to “More than 60 Wrox DRM-free ebooks available”

1. Chaim Krause says:

I saw a tweet that you now have DRM-free PDFs. I came to this page directly, within 10 seconds of reading the tweet I had selected my book. I came here to support your decision with my money. Then I got to the shopping cart and see that your ebooks cost the same as your physically printed books. Needless to say, I didn’t complete the purchase. Seems you have a bit to go to understand publishing ebooks. I’ll go back to purchasing from other publishers that "get it".

2. jminatel says:

Chaim: Didn’t you use the discount code I gave at the beginning of the post: NODRM
    to get 20% off the ebook price in your cart?

3. Chaim Krause says:

Jim,
    Yes, I see your generous offer of 20% off. But you appear to have missed my point. You have provided a temporary discount of 20% of the price off the dead tree edition. Apress sells their ebooks at 30% *every day* and Manning sells their ebooks at greater then 30% off *every day* and O’Reilly sells their’s also at a 30% discount. So… I expected to see the 20% off an already 30% discounted price of the dead tree edition.
    For example $49.99 dead tree, $34.99 ebook, $27.99 with your 20% off coupon.
    So, although I am greatly appreciative that Wrox has chosen to go DRM-free with the ebooks, I am not inclined to vote with my money for a company who chooses to charge 30% more than for a competing product. (Especially since we all know the profit margin on an electronic book is much greater than the dead tree edition even taking into consideration a 30% off-the-top discount.)
    I applaude Wrox for this endevour, but will choose to show my support via any purchases only when their prices are inline with products of similar quality available at other publishers.
    (And to complete my opinion, I often wait until ebooks are 30%-50% off due to customer loyalty discounts or $10 "Deal of the Day" offers.)
    Thank you for listening.

4. Roland says:

I really appreciate Wrox joining the DRM free e-book publishers, I’m an avid reader of e-books in the technical area since the launch of the first e-readers with larger format screens (like the Irex Iliad).
    But I have to agree with the points Chaim made. Even if there is a temporary discount, I do not think it will ever be successful to price e-books the same as paper editions. I also have bought a lot of e-books over the last years at the publishers in Chaim’s list because the pricing is right and there are interesting discounts on top of that, think 2 for 3 or similar promotions.
    And there’s also the bizarre situation that the paper edition is even cheaper at some online stores than a discounted e-book. Take for example "Professional ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB". It is listed at Amazon for $34,64 at the moment. As an e-book edition I can get it from here with the introductory discount for roughly $44. So that’s $10 more for a non physical item.
    Please rethink your pricing of the electronic editions.
    You can also check out this interesting blog entry from Andrew at O’Reilly: http://toc.oreilly.com/2010/01/2009-oreilly-ebook-revenue-up-104-percent.html

5. Krasio says:

OK, let’s say the price is fair..but please do something about the bookmarks!
    Have you ever tried to read ~500 pages PDF without bookmarks?

6. jminatel says:

Chaim and Roland: Price is such a big issue I want to give it more of an airing. I’ll post my more detailed thoughts on price in a new post next week and add a link to it here in the comments.
    Krasio: Excellent point on bookmarks. I’m checking on that and will provide an update when I can.

7. Brent Ozar says:

I’d definitely love to hear more about the pricing thoughts.  Considering that the production costs and distribution costs are lower than the dead-tree edition, I’m pretty stunned that the electronic edition would be $48 after discount codes.
    Are you going to sell the PDF versions through Amazon and other online resellers?

8. jminatel says:

Kraiso: It looks like we’ve just made a mistake in how the watermarking server app is configured. We’re inputing bookmarked PDFs and getting output without bookmarks. I’m looking into getting that fixed hopefully as soon as next week. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. wraith808 says:

1 question/1 comment

What about those of us who have already purchased DRM-ed copies of your e-books?
    I agree with the whole thing about e-books should be less than dead tree copies.

It’s for these reasons that I started looking at other publishers as my primary source of e-books, and that’s trickled down to other books also.  One is satisfied- the other isn’t.  Though I like to read books from a lot of different sources, since I’ve gone completely electronic, I’ve been buying less of Wrox than I formerly did.

10. Roland says:

Finally I bought an ebook out of the offerings in the new DRM free format to check it out.
    The bookmark issue is already known, so I think this will be fixed soon.
    But I have never seen such a massive watermark on every page. Three lines of text which include my name, e-mail-adress and order number. It also obstructs the page numbers. If a watermark is neccessary for you, please make it unobtrusive.

11. Anonymous says:

A simple watermark with purchaser email information on every page is sufficient. If the pdf is stolen and posted on the web the purchaser can be notified about the problem. In some cases, such as at work or in PC maintenance or repair, we might catch the culprit.
    I hate paper books. I always prefer the pdf over paper version, but many of my friends have the opposite preference. There is likely a marketing curve to balance the ethical customers against the trend in some countries to pay nothing for IP copyrights.
    I definitely purchase far fewer (<5%) DRM e-books (e.g. Adobe Digital Reader) than DRM free e-books. But, I prefer the paper book over DRM Adobe Digital Reader unless I need the electronic version on a consulting assignment.

12. Krasio says:

Thanks, Jim.
    It was a real struggle to explain this issue to Wrox tech support 🙁

13. Habibullah says:

I used to purchase lot of printed books. I have thousands of books in my house. I literally own a library.  But then reality hit and I started losing my eye sight.  Recently I am buying more and more eBooks since it is easy to enlarge on screen or even zoom it with my special mouse 🙂
    I was one of the very first members of http://wrox.books24x7.com I ended up not renewing it after second year because of unnecessary restrictions i.e. not to read fast and not able to print.
    At that time, I started looking for digital format.  I bought couple of eBooks in the beginning of eBook era and regret it immediately because of DRM.  Yes, there may be unethical people out there but I don’t like the idea to get punished for those people.
    I have bought literally hundreds of book from O’Riely, SitePoints and Apress because of heavy discounts on eBooks. I especially love Apress’ daily deal at http://www.apress.com/info/dailydeal for $10 bucks only.
    During past Chrismas SitePoint had 10 days promotion.  I bought every single eBook from them.
    Yes, Wrox books are great but for such a higher price, it may not worth, especially with evolution of Internet, experience programmers may not need books any more.
    Moral of story is, if you like to stay alive in this competing society you have to offer more or less same discounts other offers.
    I sincerely appreciate the no DRM eBook idea.  But the same time, I do appreciate the fair pricing on eBook as well.

14. jminatel says:

Krasio: The missing bookmarks issue has been solved and fixed. It turns out the bookmarks were present in the source PDFs and were getting stripped out by a bug in an outdated version of the watermarking software which we’ve since upgraded. Any DRM-free Wrox e books purchased now should include the intended bookmarks.
    If you go back to your account and download the book again, the server should generate a new version for you, this time with the bookmarks. If you have any other problems, please continue to let us know.

15. Andrew says:

I tweeted this as well but here’s the long version…
    I’d be more inclined to purchase the physical book if I knew I’d also get a digital copy (pdf). I personally hate reading pdf’s, but it would be nice to have a copy around for times when you want to refer to the book but don’t have it with you. "Cloud computing" (excuse me while I puke) makes this possible.
    It’s still great to see a DRM-less option and I applaud you for taking that step, but why hurt the people that still want to buy and read the pulp?

Cheers!

16. Krasio says:

Thanks a lot Jim!
    Now I have another problem – can not login to my account. Few minutes after clicking on "Log in" button error message is displayed saying "Errors found in web application".
    Hope this will be fixed soon.

17. charbdm333 says:

Please Note — Comments temporarily disabled:
    Unfortunately, Jim’s post has been hit with a spambot attack today, so we’ve had to shut off comments for a few hours.  Please know that we appreciate everyone’s comments thus far and definitely want to continue the conversation later.
    Thanks for your comments.  We’ll repost when things are back to normal.
     – Wrox Blogs Admin

18. charbdm333 says:

Blog Commenting Update:
    Commenting has been been turned back on. Also, you’ll notice that we’ve added a new simple CAPTCHA app to the  Blogs comments area to help avoid spambot problems in the future.
    We welcome and appreciate all your comments and feedback.  Thanks for your contributions to the Wrox P2P community!

19. jminatel says:

Krasio: There was a server outage last night that was fixed this morning. Please try logging into your account again. Sorry for the additional snag.

20. jminatel says:

Wraith808: Good news. Yes, we’ve found a way to "upgrade" most old DRM’d ebooks purchased from Wrox.com and wiley.com to the new DRM-free. Please see this:
    Roland: I’m working with legal and marketing to pare down the watermark. It won’t be as small as you’re looking for, but it will be a lot smaller.

21. Robert Cain says:

First off let me say I am glad WROX has moved to DRM Free E-Books. Great idea, and the list of books you list as a starting point seems to be a great selection covering major points of development.
    I do want to echo conerns over pricing however, it seems a bit high to sell an electronic version at a higher price than I can get the "dead tree" version for at an on-line retailer.
    I would also like to see a discounted price of the e-book for people who also bought the dead tree version. I love having a physical book to kick back in my recliner and read, but I find when I need to reference something in it I’m usually at a client site or away from home.
    Having an e-book version adds value. I wouldn’t mind paying a small cost (say 5 to 10 dollars as one of your competitors does) to get the e-book, but don’t ask me to pay full price when I’ve already bought the physical book.

22. David says:

Robert and Roland, just a quick note about the price differential for different formats of the same book at online booksellers.  In those cases Wrox is acting as the publisher, rather than the retailer (for direct sales on Wrox.com Wrox is both).  Wrox sells the product to Amazon or BN.com or Borders.com or Buy.com, and they then resell the book to readers.
    The problem, and it is a problem, is that the for some retailers such as Amazon, different groups within the retailer handle the merchandising for print and electronic books.   Amazon’s discounts change often, and with two different groups handling the discounting the most common scenario is for those discounts to not be the same for print and e.  So what we actually have here is a discounting disparity, which ultimately results in a price disparity. And for whatever reason the discounting for print is often more aggressive, resulting in a final price to the reader that is higher for electronic than for print.
    Wrox has flagged this issue to the retailers that have the discounting disparities, but the final decision on discounting to their customers will remain with the retailers.

23. Kiley says:

I must say i at first was delighted to see the word free with e-book, after all havign bought and paid for well over 50 to 100 wrox books i thought great i can now download the e-book to the paperbook i already have purchased and take the e-book with me when not in the office.  To me this should be the law, if i have purchased the book already do i not already own the rights to that copy, somthing along the lines of music or DVD format.  Therefore, i think a small perhaps 5 dollar or less charge should apply to those of us who buy the paperback.  Should you opt to not buy the paperback then by all means you should pay the same price or a slightly lower price.  you guys are on the right track but keep going.

24. I’ll also start by saying that I think the DRM Free option is a great move. However I also think the pricing needs to be sorted. It’s just too high for a virtual product.
    Other thoughts I have are I think it’d be great to sell an ebook upgrade to people with existing paper copies of books. I have dozens and dozens of Wrox books that if the price was reasonable I’d re-buy in an eBook format. I’d not do this with the current priceing. Also if I new I could by the paper version and get an electronic copy at a huge discount (Say £5 or so on top of the cover price of the book) I’d be up for buying both.
    D

25. Anonymous says:

I would also like to read the reasoning behind the pricing. I’m interested in the Professional Android 2 Application Development, 2nd Edition. But here this book is priced at $44.99 and $35.99 after the 20% discount, and at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Android-2-Application-Development/dp/0470565527/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266440846&sr=8-2), the same book goes for $29.69 paper and $26.72 kindle edition.
    Why would we purchase a book directly from the publisher if it’s more expensive? If you’re removing the middle man, why not share the savings with the customers?

26. Jibril Esa says:

I already own  a paper back   edition  of  Professional Linux Kernel Architecture by Wolfgang Mauerer .  I paid  my  $60  at  the  bookstore  and     would  like  to get  the  electronic  edition  but was  absolutely   shocked    to find  that  if  I  buy  each chapter  of  the  book  online  it  would  be  $125.00.  Is  there a link to  an edition  with all of  the  chapters  in an ebook that  I missed?  If  I did  not  miss  anything and  you are  charging  $125.00 for   the  ebook  chapters  what  kind of  operation  are  you running?  Every other  company  that  sells  tech books  in any fashion the  ebook  is  cheaper   than  the  printed version whether  there  is  a  full  version  or  separate chapters to sell   them  for  twice  the  price  of    the  printed  book  is   ludicrous,   it  begs  the  question  why would  I ever    buy a  ebook  from  you guys  as  it  is  vastly  over priced. For  that  matter   why would  I  buy a  book  from you guys  ever again?

I  don’t  have a  problem with  buying  books,   but  as  we  move  to  a ebook  society  that  type  of  price  difference  is  quite  out  of  touch  with  consumers.

I have a  full subscription  to  Safari books  and  read  as  much  as  I  like  but  I do  still  buy a  book    that  I find  is  more  useful   to  me   than  what  is  part  of  my subscription.

If  this    faux  paux   is  your  way  of  trying  to get  my business  as  well  as  others  then   I don’t  think  you will be  making   as  many sells  as  your  competitors.

Hoping    you have a  link to  buy  the  ebook  cheaper  than the  printed  copy  like  every other  vendor

Jibril Esa

27. tachyon42 says:

I bought a book by publisher O’Reilly from my local book store last year.
    I saw on the O’Reilly website that they sold book + ebook for $9 more than just the book price.
    I contacted them and was told that if I provided proof of purchase they would sell me the ebook for just the $9 rather than the normal ebook price (which was 20% less than the printed book price).
    I have the print version of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB. I’d like to buy the ebook version too but I’m not going to pay $44.99 (or even with the current 20% introductory discount offer).
    I’d like Wrox to consider offering a reasonable price for combined book + ebook.
    I’d also like a heavily discounted price (like O’Reilly gave me) for purchasing an ebook if have previously purchased a print version of a book.

28. jminatel says:

tachyon42: We don’t have a "proof of purchase" system for discounted ebooks but it is a wish-list item we’ve talked about developing. Just curious, when O’Reilly asked for "proof of purchase" what did they have you provide?

29. ashwin says:

What’s does DRM-free mean?

30. jminatel says:

Ashwin: "DRM" is digital rights management, so DRM-free is without Digital Rights Management. From a reader standpoint, the DRM PDF ebooks can only be read in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and have technical restrictions that let you only open the DRM files you have purchased on computers you have registered ADE on. Our DRM-free files can be read in any PDF reader on any computer or device you own that supports PDF. Our restrictions are outlined here and they’re not enforced by software but by waterwarking the customer name and other information at the bottom of each page.

31. Jeremy says:

Although I agree with the other users regarding high e-book prices in an absolute sense, it’s more this notion of getting the e-book for $10 or so if I’ve already bought the physical book, that interests me.
    Case in point: I bought Professional C# 2008 not too long ago for…well, I’m not sure. Probably the Amazon price, but it might’ve been Borders or B&N. Either way, my wife’s trying to learn some of this programming stuff that I love so much, so she’s going back and forth between an ASP.NET MVC book (from Apress) and the C# book from Wrox — the latter as a guide to snippets in the former that use unfamiliar keywords and constructs.
    Thing is, she doesn’t love carrying both of those books around, so I told her we’d go ahead and pay a little more for the e-books so she can go work in Borders or Panera without the luggage. Well, that worked for Apress ($10)…. but it’s looking like it’s not going to work for Wrox. I spent a good deal of time checking around your site, thinking I must just be missing that elusive link that says "Already got the hard copy? Click here to download the accompanying e-book for $10 more!" (or perhaps something slightly pithier).
    It’s interesting that O’Reilly does the proof-of-purchase thing. Apress just has a little quiz that gives you something like 30-60 seconds to turn to page X and type in the Yth word of paragraph Z. If you succeed, it adds the $10 e-book to your cart and you proceed along your way. (IIRC, they used to do it for free a couple years ago, but I get the need/desire for the small surcharge.) Either way, the simple fact is that when I’m browsing the books on the shelf at Borders, it makes me *way* more likely to pull the trigger on the Apress book than on another one: not only are they consistently rated well, but they all have that blurb about getting the cheap e-book later if I want. Whether or not I end up doing it, it gives me options and goes toward future-proofing my purchase if I get a Kindle DX or iPad later.
    The Apress method’s a pretty simple algorithm for cataloging the page/paragraph/word info, and if you guys start with your most popular 100 books or so, it would be a nominal task. Even the cart/web side of things probably wouldn’t be so bad.
    Obviously your company’s going to worry about the impact on profits, and I’m sure it can go either way depending on your price point, marketing, and choice of applicable books. But to hedge your bets you could start with a small selection of titles, maybe throw an e-book sticker on those titles in certain regions and not others, and watch your sales stats. For people like me you’re garnering a $10 bonus if I come back later and snag the e-book, and I have to imagine that the explicit option being stated on the hard copy will help you out front, too. Good luck.

32. Chaim Krause says:

I’m glad this has been a civilized discussion. It is very nice to have Wrox officials actively engaged.
    I believe the following article by the New Your Times, shed some light on this very topic.

33. jminatel says:

Excellent NYT article Chaim! Thanks. Their cost breakdown is one of the more insightful that I’ve read.

34. tachyon42 says:

Jeremy:
    You said "It’s interesting that O’Reilly does the proof-of-purchase thing. Apress just has a little quiz that gives you something like 30-60 seconds to turn to page X and type in the Yth word of paragraph Z. If you succeed, it adds the $10 e-book to your cart and you proceed along your way."
    I don’t know if O’Reilly does ask for proof of purchase (I mentioned in my previous comment that I had suggested to O’Reilly that I could provide proof if they wanted – I don’t think they actually asked).
    I know of the "turn to page X" method but hadn’t mentioned it since I couldn’t remember which publisher had asked me to prove purchase that way. Of course, it’s not foolproof since one could borrow a book and then phone the publisher to buy the ebook. That’s not such an issue if the ebook price is close to the print book price but to offer a heavily discounted price for an ebook (e.g $10 when you’ve already bought the print book)  some better proof of purchase method is needed. Inevitably any such method will add production or staff costs for the publisher.
    One method I can think of uses a code which needs to be quoted, possibly together with "turn to page X" information, when purchasing the ebook. It would involve printing a serial number / unique code (say inside back cover) hidden behind a coating which needs to be scratched away to reveal the code. The publisher would retain a database of codes for validation and to prevent more than one discounted ebook purchase for each print copy. I imagine there will still be someone who would scratch the code instore (like someone who steals CDs from books) but the store staff and/or customer could check books prior to purchase – such books could be returned to publisher or even sold later at a small discount (since a discounted ebook purchase was then not allowable). Such code theft could be prevented by a slightly modified process where the code is in an envelope given to a customer by store staff at point of purchase. Of course, this has the disadvantage of handling two separate items (the book and the envelope) with the possibility of the envelope being misplaced somewhere in the supply chain or forgotten in store.
    There are probably better ways to solve this problem but Wrox, or any other publisher, is welcome to use this method (assuming someone hasn’t already patented it – don’t we live in a crazy society when patents are allowed on such things as genes and how many mouse clicks it takes to do something!).

35. Jeremy says:

Tachyon:
    It doesn’t seem to me that the Apress method is under threat from "borrowed" books (e.g. from a friend), but you’re right that in other scenarios it’s highly susceptible to gaming. With smartphones, laptops, and wifi as prevalent as they are, doing the online "test" while actually in the bookstore would be a snap.
    The scratch-off idea’s interesting. It’s the same general method used by Microsoft for Xbox Live subscription cards – you rip off a cardboard strip to see the validation code. Like you said, though, it has its logistical considerations, and it would suck for everyone if just one bored teen scratches/rips a couple dozen codes waiting for his mom to finish browsing the travel section. Other product types escape that fate by being entirely boxed… which would make for a terrible bookstore.
    Scratch-off systems do have an important advantage here: they provide the only inherent distinction between reading the book in the store’s cafe and taking it home (which are otherwise identical with regards to the book): the concept of irreversible damage. It’s a simple obstacle, but I think it’s tangible enough to stop most people.
    That said, all of this might be just background noise considering the online proliferation of e-books stripped of their DRM (PDF passwords, if nothing else) anyway.
    I think that, paradoxically enough, a low price of $5 or $10 would be most profitable; considering the ease of piracy and the modern notion that a lowly file should be cheap, I think nudging people to go legit (with its accompanying fuzzy feelings) converts to a lot more sales – particularly, as I said before, as a sidecar to the $60 DTF copy.

36. Roland says:

Any news on the pricing issue for the e-book editions?
    Today I got the newsletter from Wrox, announcing some new stuff. I was very interested in the new title "Professional C# 4.0 and .NET 4" and checked the ebook price. It was $59,59, the same as the print issue. The price on Amazon for the hardcover is currently $37,79. Taking in account the introductory discount of 20% for the ebook, it still would be nearly $48, buying directly from the publisher.
    To help you in pricing the pricing issue, I’ll give you a short breakdown of my quick decision scheme for buying the electronic edition of a book:
    a) higher or same price as MSRP of printed edition -> no deal, if I need the information in the book I’ll buy the print edition at the best available price
    b) same price as cheapest print edition -> will buy it if I have a current need for the information in the book
    c) 10%-20% less than the cheapest print edition -> will buy if the topic is interesting enough
    d) $9.99 -> will also buy also if the topic is only remotely interesting for me (a typical "no-brainer" deal)

37. Anonymous says:

Allow me to add my agreement to those of previous posters.  The list price of computer books is absurdly high.  I only buy from Amazon or BookPool, and even then, I sometimes wait for used copies to get the price down further.  So a 20% temporary discount off the list price isn’t going to cut it for me.  When, and if, the sale price is around $25.  I’ll reconsider.
    btw.  Wrox books are first class.

38. jminatel says:

Thanks for the "first class" comment "anonymous"!
    I’ve added my slightly more detailed comments on ebook pricing in this new post:

39. Jose says:

Maybe it is just me but yesterday I bought one of the allegedly "DRM-free" books (Professional C# and .NET 4) and I had to install Adobe Digital Editions to download the book. Even worse, I can’t open the PDF with Foxit reader or MacOS Preview. I wouldn’t say they are DRM free if I need Adobe’s software to read the PDF (but, on the other hand, I don’t see any water marks).  I have bought ebooks from O’Reilly and the Pragmatic Programmers and they can be downloaded in many formats including PDF that can be read with any PDF reading program (not only Adobe Digital Editions)

40. Richard Collette says:

Please make the Xslt book available soon!   I have Xslt 2nd edition  in print but it is so large that having a searchable PDF would be fantastic.

41. jminatel says:

Jose: If you haven’t already, please contact our technical support group. You should not need Adobe Digital Editions to read the Professional C# book.

42. Kris Martin says:

When it comes to e-book’s I’m already paying for the paper, printing, assembly, warehousing, inventory, and shipping with the purchase of my e-book device. I expect to see substantial savings when purchasing an e-book; knowing that the cost of an e-book is pennies next to the cost of a physical book.

43. Scott says:

Hi there,
    I was just trying to purchase a copy of Professional ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB [Adobe PDF], but when I enter the "NODRM" coupon code, I get the following message:
       Promotion Code NODRM Accepted, You Save $ 0.00
    Isn’t this code supposed to be valid until the end of April?  And shouldn’t it have said that I save $11.99 (20% of $59.99)?
    Thanks,
    Scott.

44. jminatel says:

Scott: I’ve checked on this and can’t find anything wrong with the promo code setip for this title and other customers are successfully ordering it. If you could contact our technical support group, they can try to troubleshoot the purchase process with you. I apologize for the inconvenience. Jim

45. Roland says:

Jose, nearly the same happened to me with the title "Professional C# and .NET 4". At first I could not download at all, but tech support looked into it and now I can download the Adobe Digital Editions version with DRM. I hope I’ll get also the DRM free version afterwards if they fixed the issues.

46. Jose says:

Roland, this is exactly what happened to me. I finally got my drm free pdf after talking with tech support; it still has a little issue with watermarking, though: The "watermark" text is placed over the text of the book and the last lines of each page are difficult to read. I suppose that they are still figuring out how to do it the right way.

47. Ernesb says:

Congratulations for migrate to DRM "FREE" format, but i find too much sense in the apreciations about the price for the book, if you eliminate all the materials and complications about the printing and distribution for their books, why NOT "reduce" the price to something that will be considerably sellerable. The voice of the people is the voice of God. Also when you will being avaliables their books in other lenguajes???.

48. Scott says:

Thanks for the suggestion jminatel, but I don’t think I can be bothered contacting technical support for this.  I’ll just pass on buying the book, or pick up the physical book later probably for even less cost.  Do you think it’s because I’m in Canada?  Is the code only valid for US addresses or something?

49. jminatel says:

Scott: Sorry we couldn’t troubleshoot this for you. The code is set up for all users worldwide, and we have sold the ebooks with the code to many customers outside the US.
    We’ll continue to work on this though and respond to any reports of issues. We’ve been busy this last week improving the watermark results (with thanks to support from ActivePDF our watermark library vendor) and a ton of work from our internal IT staff and book production team. Thanks everyone for your patience.

50. Robert says:

I purchased Beginning Visual Basic 2010 ebook yesterday, but still cannot download 🙁
    After click to the book name in Download section of My account, I coudl see just empty page (with Wrox header and footer). But no download start and no download link, nothing. Makes me crazy 🙁

51. jminatel says:

Robert: Please contact our technical support group. They should be able to get the download working in your account. Sorry for the inconvenience.

52. Robert says:

I asked your support, but they sent the link to DRM version. :(((
    Means I have to ask your support again.
    I hope I will get finally what I purchased, but this is not the way you should work. Originally my plan was to purchase about five nonDRM books from you but now I am not sure to go this way.

53. jminatel says:

Robert: email me:
    jminatel
    at
    wrox.com
    Let me see if I can move this along for you. Yes, as the DRM-free books are not the norm for Wiley, we are still working on training issues when support needs come up.

54. Robert says:

Well, I could download finally my book today and checked quickly. Thanks.
    The watermark is in very rare case over the text (the last row) or picture, eg. page 621 in Beginning Visual Basic 2010. You should reduce the height of the watermark to avoid.

55. RBC says:

Hi there,
    I bought the Professional C# 4.0 and .NET 4 ebook yesterday, but couldn’t download it. The problem was fixed after working with tech support today. I can live with the watermark issue but not very happy with the sample screen graphics. It’s awful and a pain for the eyes.

56. Anonymous says:

I noticed that "Beginning ASP.NET 4: in C# and VB" is available in print form but not as an ebook download.  Is this title going to be offered as an ebook?  If so, any idea how long it will be until it is available?
    Thanks

57. jminatel says:

Most recent "Anonymous": yes, as of today, Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB is available as a DRM-free ebook: Beginning ASP.NET 4: in C# and VB
    RBC: email me jminatel at wiley and let me know a couple of examples of pages with bad sample screen graphics so I can see what the problem is.
    Robert (and others) we’ve shrunk the watermark even more and fixed the positioning to eliminate almost all cases of the watermark overlapping text. If you download again you’ll get the improved watermark.
    We’ve also been in regular discussion with the support team and your support experience with the DRM-free ebooks should be improved when you contact us.

58. Robert says:

Watermark seems much better – no overlapping, thx.
    The next issue is screenshot quality as RBC pointed. I sent mail to you with a few samples.

59. Anonymous says:

The price of a Digital version MUST BE lower than a paper version…
    You can put discounts like 3×2 or similar… but at the end the price must be lower…
    I think the best aproach is the Pragmatic Store one, example of one of their most famous books with about eight hundred pages:

PDF (drm free) -> 24$
    Paper Version -> 44$
    Both -> 54$

I probably buy one of your books today but I really hate your prices. (And I never would buy some drm ebook)

60. Roland says:

I want to add to the screenshot issue, also bitmap diagrams are not really readable in the ebook version. Here some example pages from the book "Professional C# 4 and .NET 4":
    Page 349 – screenshot barely readable
    Page 352 – bitmap diagram only partly readable
    Page 347 – screenshot barely readable
    I think the resolution of all bitmapped graphics in the PDF ebooks should be increased, eventually only a few settings in your PDF generator?

61. jminatel says:

Roland, Robert, RBC: I’ve looked at some sample screens and yes, we should improve the resolution. I’ve asked our production department to look into this and test, and find a solution that has clearer screens as well as keeps the file sizes from ballooning too much. I had thought the figures were OK at the current compression settings but obviously from your comments they should be better so we’ll address it.

62. Andrew Mascord says:

Pleased to see the DRM free electronic editions – well done for that.
    I bought Professional C# 4 and .Net 4 in hardcopy and now in PDF (book is too heavy!) PDF was dearer than the book! – not so good.
    The biggest problem is that the graphics quality in the PDF version is awful; for example the diagram on page 985 is illegible. – poor show Wrox
    Having paid a premium price for the PDF version, I get  5 & dime quality – not happy!
    Are you going to fix it?
    If you do fix it will I be able download a better version?

63. Vamsi says:

Professional ASP.NET 4 with C$ and VB is listed in the books list above and yet when I use the NODRM promo code, here is what it says.

Promotion Code NODRM Accepted, You Save $ 0.00

So, when does the 20% off apply to the DRM free ebooks?

64. Vamsi says:

Trying to buy Professional ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB DRM free ebook
    When using promo code NODRM, I get the following message.

Promotion Code NODRM Accepted, You Save $ 0.00

65. jminatel says:

Robert: Thanks for pointing out the incorrect category and description on VB 2010 Programmer’s Reference. The category has now been fixed. The description (which you are right, someone just copied the description from the same author’s WPF book) will take another day or two to appear right on the site, it’s updated now in our internal catalog which takes a night or two to push to the site.
    Vamsi: We’ve fixed the promo code for the Professional ASP.NET 4 with C# and VB book. If you try NODRM again, you’ll get the 20% off. I tested it in my cart and saw the correct discount. Sorry about that. I also tested it for all the recently added books and verified it’s working.
    Andrew, RBC, Roland, and others: I’m still working with production to improve graphics resolution without bloating the PDF file sizes. I’ll update here when there’s more to share.

66. Andrew Mascord says:

Hello Jim
    Is there a reason why commenting is disabled?  I would like to anotate my e-book.
    Thanks
    Andrew

67. jminatel says:

Andrew: There are 3rd party PDF readers (such as FoxIt Reader which I greatly prefer over Acrobat Reader) which allow commenting. We’re looking into the possibility of changing the PDFs though to allow Acrobat Reader commenting as well. If that happens, I’ll let everyone know here.

68. Robert says:

Hi Jim,
    anything new rgd improving the screenshots resolution?

69. Chad Biggerstaff says:

I just purchased Professional C# 4.0 and .NET 4 – thank you for the discount codes, would not have purchased otherwise.  I never understand companies that sell E-Books costing more than Amazon’s prices on printed books (even when adding cost of shipping – usually free).
    I wanted to thank you for allowing the books to be searchable on Amazon, that lead to my purchase as I was able to read the first few pages and liked what I saw.
    For those wondering the book does appear to be DRM Free, I was concerned about this as I like to read a lot on my iPhone (when away from monitor) and the Adobe DRM page didn’t mention it as a supported device.  The order process lead me to beleive it would contain DRM with all the DRM warnings (need to fix that), but I had faith in the accuracy of this pages content and sure enough book is DRM free with my info as a page footer.
    I agree with Roland on the graphics issues on the pages he mentions, needs some work.  Roland should be rewarded for pinpointing exact issues, perhaps he should be pdf editor in chief.

70. Anonymous says:

What I look for a in an eBooK:
    • DRM free. I can read it through PDF on any computer.
    • Can print.
    • Can comment. I bought the ADOBE professional version to be able to highlight, and to write notes.
    • Can copy text and picture.
    Please provide a sample eBook so I know what I can do with it.

71. Andrew Mascord says:

Hello Jim,
    I don’k know about other people but the file size of the e-book is not very important to me. So if it is difficult to keep the file size down while improving the graphics why not consider simply publishing e-books with quality graphics in a larger file alongside the smaller file with poor graphics? I think you have to accept that a 1800+ page e-book with lots of illustrations is going to be large
    Andrew.
    PS tried Foxit some time ago and didnt like it!

72. jminatel says:

Andrew: Thanks for the opinion.
    Quick poll then: Anyone care to give an opinion on whether or not 100-200MB PDFs are "too big" for your downloading and use?

73. PJH says:

I have 2x16Gb cards in my eReader. I don’t care one hoot if an eBook is 300Mb. I care deeply that it’s legible. And I agree with the comments about pricing, eBooks should be cheaper than the dead tree versions. Also, having seen how O’Reilly has "got it" regarding DRM and pricing, I’ve bought 3 manuals from them in the last month, vs. none from anyone else.
    I commend your dipping a toe into DRM free waters, but you’re not quite there yet.

74. Anonymous says:

I am planning to buy ereader.
    Any suggestions on ereader that reads pdf without any conversions and allows commenting and bookmarking etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

75. jminatel says:

Your best option for an ereader device if PDF annotation is a key issue might be an iPad with a 3rd party PDF app that supports this. If you search for iPad PDF annotate, you’ll find several options. For more general ebook reader device comparisons you can also look at:

76. Robert says:

As for as the PDF file size. I have UXguide from Microsoft, it is 876 pages, filesize is 42MB. I would say the quality of screenshots there is pretty good. Means it we are talking about 1800pages books for Wrox ebooks, it might be up to 100MB size. That should be no problem.
    I also follow Andrew with the idea to have the chance to get HQ nad LQ copy of ebook. LQ is ok to mobile readers while HQ is fine for notebooks and desktops. That would be the best solution.

77. Steven Arnold says:

Kudos to Wrox for offering DRM-free ebooks.  As soon as the iPad book is available, I will buy it.  Thanks again!

78. SharePoint Please says:

Hi,
    The Professional SharePoint 2010 Development book looks fantastic. I’ve recently purchased over 7 SharePoint 2010 books from one of your competitors (they also let you download works-in-progress) because I found a great discount coupon.
    I’d be very interested in purchasing an e-book version of the book, but the current offering from Wiley is far too restrictive. Main main concern is having to download the book within 14 days and only being able to move it to 6 computers.
    Can you please provide an update for release of this e-book? I notice that your latest comment was end-March. Any more news?

79. James says:

Pricing is just insane for e-books….
    Sticking with Apress/Manning/O’Reilly, thanks, and if I need something from you I’ll get it from Amazon.
    It’s not like we don’t have options, are your e-books generated by gold-plated computers? Seriously, what crack are you smoking?

80. Roland says:

As stated earlier I’ve bought two ebooks from Wrox while the discount of 20% was granted (in February and March 2010). I paid $27.99 for the title "Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript" and $47.99 for "Professional C# 4.0 and .NET".
    Which is – despite the discount – way to much for e-books. But I wanted to show my support for this offer and the contents of the books are really OK. I am an avid reader of e-books, have bought over 100 from other publishers like O’Reilly, Manning, PraProg and others.
    I am using primarily an Irex DR800S e-reader for PDFs.
    What keeps me from buying further Wrox e-books at the moment are the following reasons:
    – Price (an electronic version should be 30%-50% less than a printed version)
    – Watermark (to much personal information, interferes with text, what happens if someone steals my e-reader and shares my e-book with my adress on the net?)
    – Still no versions available with legible bitmap graphics, problem is known for a while, no further information about the status (I am registered at Wrox, so you know me and my purchases and could mail me about updates)

81. Andrew Mascord says:

I agree with Roland and am particularly interested in getting hold of replacement copies of the e-books I purchased with legible graphics, the ones I have now are not fit for purpose!
    I am certain you would not try to sell paper books with such poor quality illustrations so why do it with e-books?
    As for size, I do not mind how big they are.

82. Anonymous says:

What is wrong with this phrase, "free PDF ebooks are available for purchase from Wrox.com". Please tell me.

83. Robert says:

How about Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 ? It takes too long to release DRM-free pdf, even announced many weeks ago 🙁

84. jminatel says:

Robert: Yes, sorry about the delay. Any day now, really. A few of these biggest books have gone through a couple of extra rounds of ebook quality control to resolve a couple of issues.

85. Robert says:

Ok Jim, thx for info.

86. Aardvark says:

Was going to buy my first ebook (the Monotouch one)  now that I have an iPad. However, $45 for the ebook versus $29 at Amazon for the paper! If it was even 20% less than I could get the paper version for, I’d bite. But, paper has the edge on ease of use (e.g. others in my office can use it).

87. jcartland says:

I’ve spent far too much time on this site, probably won’t be back. While I prefer ebooks for technical content, this time it’ll be the dead tree from Amazon. If only someone else had an equivalent title…
    No DRM is a good step, but it’s not enough. The "Usage Rights for a Wiley E-book File" are absurd. Intrusive watermarks? Poor quality images? Relative pricing far above the norm? This will cost audience, and authors.

88. Chris Bensonc says:

I used to buy lots of paper books from Wrox, but Wrox has fallen way behind in the ebook market.  It took forever for DRM-free books to become available, and now that DRM-free PDFs are finally available, they remain cost-prohibitive.
    O’Reilly wins my business all the time.  No DRM, and each ebook purchase comes with MOBI, EPUB, Android, and PDF versions – without watermarks.  I rarely have to pay more than $9.99, especially with their Ebook of the Day promotion.  I buy tons of ebooks from them now, and am free to use my laptop, Kindle, or iPhone to read them.
    I’m interested in Professional WordPress.  Amazon sells the paper version for $29.69.  Even with the 20% AFF20 coupon code, the ebook version still costs $35.99 – for just a watermarked PDF.
    Wrox???  What are you thinking?  Even if I break down and buy the paper book from Amazon (because I refuse to pay MORE for a PDF), you’re going to have a very dissatisfied customer.  Once upon a time, I thought you were the best technical book publisher out there.  Clearly, times change…

89. Prakash Radhwani says:

Dear  Sir,
    I read your asp.net 2008 begineer,that book was awesome.I want to learn more of it.Cant you give me your pdf’s book free.As dere are many spelling mistakes in your Asp.Net pdf book,I thought i wll discuss dis with your company,But i need pdf pf wrox publication nd i m not able to purchase this book.I m n very poor condition.Plzz sir give me some pdf’s of  .Net  Booki wll be very thankfull for you.

90. Anonymous says:

I was ready to purchase an ebook with the digital editioins software from Adobe, even though I cannot move the software from one computer to another.  The six downloads pretty much covers all of my devices.
    Here’s my gripe: You should be able to uninstall a book from a device and have your downloads available increased by one.
    However, this was the show-stopper:
    "May copy/paste anything up to a page of text, 15 pages total, per year"
    One of the advantages of a digital book, like a PDF file, is that I can copy snippets of code directly from the book.  It’s possible that I wouldn’t use 15 pages total in a year.  However, I think the limitation is excessive and with all the other drawbacks and limitations of your digital edition’s books, it is not worth paying the same price as the paper version of the book.
    I’m not sure why you call these "DRM-free" ebooks, when the restrictions on the book are far more than I’ve ever encountered with a PDF ebook that required a password to open.

91. jminatel says:

The different sets of pages for different ebook restrictions (and not restrictions) for different Wiley groups are confusing, I’m hoping to make it easier to follow. You’ve found the wrong set of restrictions, the Wrox restrictions are much more permissive and really DRM-free as described here:
    Hope this helps.

92. MSanders says:

Just adding my two cents here to your ebook pricing scheme.  I am not happy with the fact that I a) didnt have the option on amazon to buy ebooks, and b) even though I bought the hardcopy, now I find that if I want the ebook of the same title, I need to spend another $49 per book?  That is ridicolous.  Having just recieved the hard copy today in the mail, I’m seriously considering sending them back to amazon and going to  different publisher that supports ebook/hardcover in a much better way.  And, I’m not even going to get into the licensing issue that everybody else has ripped apart already.  Get with the times Wrox, or get out of the technical book business.

93. jminatel says:

MSanders: Amazon’s decision to only sell ebooks for Kindle is there business decision not ours. We were happy when they used to sell our PDFs as other retailers do, before they introduced the Kindle. We’re working on an option to be able to purchase a DRM-free ebook together with the print book at Wrox.com at a discount versus the current full cost of print + e. If that works, we also hope that some of our retail partners who sell both print and ebooks would do the same. But we can’t run their businesses for them.

94. Maurizio says:

jminatel: Please, have a look at Manning site & Apress site, to name a few. May be you just did that, but…
    They both sell ebooks and paper version, at a different price. They both follow direct marketing and third party retailers (Amazon). If you can’t buy a pdf ebook from Amazon you can do that directly on their site.
    So, what did Wrox signed with Amazon? A "blood signed contract"?
    This is to say that I find Wrox books very good and useful, but unless you won’t change your policy about ebooks, I’ll stick with your competitors only (and given that I’ve bought more than half the Manning library, please do change your mind asap! ;-).
    Thx for your attention
    Maurizio

95. Luca says:

Just give me one reason, only ONE reason, why I’d have to spend $44.99 to buy a pdf (which you can indefinitely replicate with absolutely NO cost and I have to manage something else to look at in a properly way) instead of an absolutely BETTER printed copy at half that cost ?!?! (amazon, £18.01, Beginning JavaScript and CSS Development with JQuery). Please, do NOT tell me about the space, the weight, blah blah blah…

96. Joe says:

I tweeted a reply to a Wrox announcement for ebooks, and then happened to find this thread.
    I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with most of what has been said about the paradox between print copy and ebook. The real issue as I see it is that forcing loyal customers (in my case for many years now) to re-purchase the ebook edition is way over the line.  And then, on top of that, there is the comparitive pricing of ebooks versus print.
    Ill be honest, I LOVE wrox books – they have never let me down.  But if you expect people to re-shell out serious cash for their libraries to have them in convenient online format, you really need to re-assess your strategy.
    I was very optimistic about using my nook for electronic access to ***content*** I purchased in the print format.  I am sorely disappointed in the reality.
    Please, please, please, consider what many people here have been saying.  And, step back and remove yourself as a Wrox employee and see what you think is logical and reasonable?

97. Anonymous says:

I did purchased the first and seconds edition hard copies of Professional  JavaScript and AJAX. Why dont you give discounts to people who hard copies of the the books Oreilly does.

98. KennyWoo says:

Thanks for sharing books

99. Steven Arnold says:

Well, I did not download a book but I tried the Android Second Edition book.  As soon as I got to that page, I saw an important message about compatibility.  The books cannot be read by Acrobat Reader.  It cannot be transferred to another computer or copied.  This is NON-DRM?  I don’t think so….this is the definition of DRM.
    So what am I missing?  Did I pick the wrong link at random or does WROX have not idea what NON-DRM means?

100. jminatel says:

Steven:
    The different sets of pages for different ebook restrictions (and not restrictions) for different Wiley groups are confusing, I’m hoping to make site changes to make it easier to follow soon. You’ve found the wrong set of restrictions, the Wrox restrictions are much more permissive and really DRM-free as described here:

101. Harold says:

e-book price is unfair.  Going elsewhere.

102. Anonymous says:

what is your idea about this link?
    [[Pirate ebook link deleted]]

103. jminatel says:

I’ve deleted the link above to a pirated copy of one of our books. Yes, pirated copies of any digital offering from any publisher (music, movies, books, games, software, etc) are easy to find regardless of the original DRM-scheme used. That’s why we’ve introduced DRM-free ebooks here, to make it easier for honest, legitimate customers to use the ebooks they purchase from us. And we continue to address illegally shared and distributed copies through proper legal channels without DRM being a burden on our real customers.

104. Guy Harwood says:

I came here to look at what pdfs i could buy for my new iPad.
    So very dissapointed with the pricing.
    $49.99 for an ebook? no way.

105. Joel Asaro says:

I just want to add my voice to the chorus: It is VERY cool that you are starting to "get it" and offer DRM free books.  I already buy all my Orielly books as ebooks directly from them DRM free and I would love to get the upcoming Wrox SharePoint 2010 books I plan to buy as DRM free ebooks, BUT how can I justify paying you 2X as much for a book.  As one example, I can get the Beginning SharePoint Administration physical book for $26 and the kindle version for $20 on Amazon, but you are charging $40.  Secondly while I think having the PDF format is critical, you need to offer other formats, especially ones compatible with ebook readers like the kindle or nook.

106. Anonymous says:

This thread has been going on sence Feb. mostly about the price and I see very little responce from Wrox.  So I take it you don’t really care about the price and choose to ignore us because you like your profits just the way they are.  So until the rest of your readers decide to go to Amazon or else where to get the ebooks this is a dead issue.

107. Rajesh Gupta says:

I subscribed for 3 month subscription to wrox.books24x7.com and payment was charged to my credit card. After login I wanted to view the book content but could not. It was still masked. I contact Books24x7 and they said everything is fine at their end and I should contact Wrox. I had two live chat sessions with Wrox (one tech support and other customer care) and after listening to my issue the chat was abruptly terminated without any clue.
    I am clueless as what is going on with such a big publisher. Planning to lodge a cheating complaint against Wrox. I have been using books24x7 for the past 3 years and no issues till date.

108. jminatel says:

Rajesh: Please contact me, jminatel@wiley.com, and I’ll connect you with the right support people at books24x7. I’m not sure why their support would have indicated this is a Wrox proble, books24x7 runs all of the content maintenance, billing, and customer accounts for wrox.books24x7.com. I’ll do my best to help you get this working.

109. Jeremy Ellis says:

Jim M-
    Thank you for all of the information that you have posted and the effort that you are making to keep up with the comments on this blog post.  If the rest of this post seems crabby in any way, I would like you to know that it is not directed at you personally…
    I recently bought the latest Kindle DX – specifically because I can read PDF files on it and the larger screen of the DX model makes reading computer manuals viable.  I am not buying many books in Amazon’s Kindle format, because I also want to carry those same documents around on my laptop and open them with Acrobat – and maybe print out a chapter here or there.  I am afraid of buying a bunch of books in some proprietary eBook format and then I switch reading devices in a few years and then I can’t access my library.  For presenting printed material in electronic format, there is just no beating the PDF format.
    As others have said, I have found that several book publishers are offering incredible deals on eBook versions of their books.  Every day, my cell phone alarm goes off at noon and I go check a particular publisher’s (one of your competitors) website to see what their $10 book of the day is.  I have spent upwards of $100 on these deals in the last month (since I got my Kindle).  Also, with this same publisher, I had purchased many of their books in print form before I got my Kindle – and buying the eBook copy of a printed book that I already own is always $10 – I go to their website, answer a "quiz question" that requires me to look up something on some page in the book, and then I can buy the PDF version of that book for $10.  This is *strongly* affecting my choices when it comes to buying printed books (I have still bought a few, even after getting the Kindle) – to know that I will be able to subsequently buy the PDF version very inexpensively.
    So, here is the story for Wrox:
    I am currently interested in three Wrox books – in eBook/PDF format:
    1) Visual Basic 2010 Programmer’s Reference (by Rod Stephens)
    2) Beginning SharePoint Designer 2010 (Woodrow W. Windischman, et all)
    3) Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration (by Todd Klindt, et all)

So, I browse to http://www.wrox.com and I see the link that says:  DRM-free e-Books from Wrox.  Perfect…  I click on that…
    There, I find your blog post (that I am currently replying to) that lists all of the books – including the three that I am looking for above.  Perfect again…  so I click on them.  The costs are (1) $39.99, (2) $34.99 and (3) $49.99 – and that is (I am sorry, I just have to say it) ridiculous.  That is 3-4 times more than I have been paying everywhere else for eBooks/PDFs.  Since Amazon does free shipping, those prices are 30% more than it would cost to have the same print book delivered to my door.  The "powers that be" at Wrox *have* to understand how crazy that situation is.
    Then, I browse further – each of these eBook pages has a link that says:  Important E-Book Information – so I click on the link and read that the books are not in PDF format – and there is a sample file that I have to download to check and see if I can read the document.  I downloaded the file – called TestSuccessful.acsm – and I can’t open the file on my computer.  I guess I have to download something extra from Adobe…  which assures me that I won’t be able to open this file on my Kindle.
    Also, I already own the print copy of the Sharepoint Admin book listed above – I should be able to get a discount on the eBook format.  I thumb through my printed copy looking for something that says "Want the electronic copy of this book?  Follow this link… (or) Use this coupon code…"  I can’t find anything like that – just lots of links pointing me to http://www.wrox.com (which I did connect to) or http://www.books24x7.com (which looks like a subscription-based service).  I don’t want to subscribe to anything, I just want the PDF version of the book I already bought.
    So, without this discussion and without helpful information that you have provided in response to comments, I would have given up there and written off Wrox.  Wrox has been a great Programming/Computer book publishing company, but are seemingly unable to adapt to the new eBook world…  That is literally what I was thinking… until I found this discussion.
    As I read through comment after comment, it does seem like you are responding to points (like the ones I made above) as they are made by other people – you seem to have heard plenty about the price issue.  Also, you are directing users to another link that talks about the eBook format:  http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-WILEY2_WROX_EBOOK_COPY.html  It seems Wrox books *are* in PDF format – Yeah!  But how would I have known that, when the eBook page is telling me that they are in some other format?  And, to be honest, can I trust that? Am I going to pay $34.99 and find out that only *some* books are in PDF format, and the one I just purchased hasn’t been converted yet?
    And now, your most recent reply (from this morning – probably appearing right above my comment) is:
    jminatel – Price comments: We’re listening and hope to have some exciting news on this "soon."
    Again, that is *great news*.  Very exciting!  It looks like I had written off Wrox too soon.  But, here is the bad news about your comment.  I *might* have been willing to pay $34.99 for the SharePoint Designer book that I want – I am hoping to get into that soon.  But I don’t want to pay full retail price for it this week, and then see that it is 40% off next week.  So when you say that something is happening (quote) soon (unquote), I hope that soon means within the next few days.  I hope it doesn’t sometime in the next few months…
    Anyway, I appreciate all of the information you have provided and your willingness to keep responding to comments on this post.  If it weren’t for me digging around in the comments of this blog post, I would have completely written off Wrox, as I mentioned above…
    Jeremy

110. PJH says:

My experience is very similar to Jeremy Ellis – I have several WROX manuals on dead tree, and I’ve bought a lot of technical eBooks recently, and by the sound of it from the same publisher. But I’ve bought none from WROX because of the pricing and DRM / format issues. I could find most of the material I’ve bought on pirate sites, but if it’s priced right and the terms of use are fair, then why would I even look there?

111. Rednarsot says:

I like the idea that wrox is now offering ebooks but I agree that the pricing needs to be adjusted. Also o’riellys allows you to register the physical books you already own and then download the ebook. If a newver version of the book is available it cost 4.99 to download but still thats a bargin over having to pay the full price. It would be nice if worx would do the same since I have almost a hundred wrox books and don’t want to purchase them again to have the ebook.

112. Mainspring says:

Come on Wrox get it together. You really don’t need to test us just to see how much you can charge us and get away with. You have a good product even without the DRM Free but I’m gone along with a BUNCH of other people until you do this pricing right. If you make an honest mistake fine, just correct it, but when you purposely manipulate with no regard for your customers things have a way of backfiring…shame on you.

Mainspring

113. jminatel says:

Please see the latest news as of Dec 2010 about new Wrox DRM-free PDF ebook prices:

114. Jeremy Ellis says:

Jim M-
    Thank you once again for reading and responding to the comments on this thread. I am very excited about the new DRM-free PDF e-books that are now available at a discount. To be honest, I haven’t fully absorbed that blog post yet. But it is clear that Wrox is responding to my exact complaints (from my 11/11/10 post).
    Thank you so much again.
    My faith is restored…
    And sorry to everyone if this sounds like a Wrox-fan-boy post, but I was pretty crabby about things on 11/11 and it is really nice to see a company respond to feedback like that. I don’t want to be one of those people who only gives feedback when I am irritated…
    Jeremy

115. Paul S. says:

I have always liked the Wiley WROX names. I love the books and own many (many, many, many). For Christmas I was able to persuade my loving wife to get me a Sony Reader (eBook). My goals are to save trees and room in my office and only get eBooks now. Earlier today I went to Oreily and saw that I could register my hard copies and for $4.99 each I could download most of my titles as ePub, PDF or other formats. What a deal… I have just replaced 60% of my Oriley books and have them in e-format. Then I come here and I am amazed at what it would cost me to convert my books to ePub… I agree with what I read here that the full price is way too much… I will look elsewhere. I am not asking for free books… I have paid $ THOUSANDS for my books and will continue to do so. But I do feel that the publisher needs to reduce the costs since they do not have to print or ship the books. The cost of epublications does not warrant the cost of print book prices. Make your profit, it is proper, but don’t $cr3W me doing it. I will not pay hard copy pricing for books.

116. Paul S. says: