More Wrox Books in Kindle, iBooks, Sony Reader, and Nook Formats

We’ve gotten a lot of questions since we started our DRM-free PDF ebooks about if we’d have more books in Mobi and ePub formats and in the retailer stores using those formats for Kindle, iBooks, Sony Reader, Nook, and others.

The good news is that the answer is YES. Over the new few months, you’ll see a lot of our recent Visual Studio 2010 and iPhone/Mac development books available in these formats. Over the last few months, we’ve released a lot of Visual Studio 2010, SharePoint 2010, and mobile development books in formats for these ebook readers. And while it had been our goal to say these e-formats would be available simulataneously with the print book, it’s still taking us a little longer than we’d like for these to happen. We don’t sell ePub or Mobi files directly though, we only sell them through retailers, so availability on these formats does depend not just on our production but on resellers.

So what do we have? These are the books that the print versions are already published in ePub and Mobi with their retail availability listed for Kindle, Sony Reader, iBooks, and Nook:

Visual Studio 2010

Available now:

Book Title Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning ASP.NET 4: in C# and VB Kindle Nook   Sony Reader
Beginning Visual Basic 2010 Kindle
Ivor Horton’s Beginning Visual C++ 2010 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning Visual C# 2010 Kindle
Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional ASP.NET Design Patterns Kindle Nook  iBooks  Sony Reader
Professional ASP.NET MVC 2 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional C# 4 and .NET 4 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional F# 2.0 Kindle Nook
Professional IronPython Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional Scrum with Team Foundation Server 2010 Kindle
Professional Team Foundation Server 2010 Kindle
Professional Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4 Kindle Nook   Sony Reader
Professional Visual Studio 2010 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional WCF 4: Windows Communication Foundation with .NET 4 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Visual Basic 2010 Programmer’s Reference Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4 Six-in-One Kindle Nook
WPF Programmer’s Reference: Windows Presentation Foundation with C# 2010 and .NET 4 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader

Additionally we’ll have a related SQL Server Programming book that we know a lot of .NET devs buy together with a .NET book. This is Professional SQL Server 2008 Programming (Kindle) (Nook) (Sony Reader).

SharePoint 2010

Beginning SharePoint 2010: Building Business Solutions with SharePoint Kindle
Beginning SharePoint 2010 Administration: Windows SharePoint Foundation 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning SharePoint 2010 Development Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning SharePoint Designer 2010 Kindle Nook
Professional Microsoft Search: FAST Search, SharePoint Search, and Search Server Kindle Nook    Sony Reader
Professional PowerPivot for Excel and SharePoint Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional Business Connectivity Services in SharePoint 2010 Kindle
Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design Kindle Nook
Professional SharePoint 2010 Development Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration Kindle Nook   Sony Reader
 Real World SharePoint 2010: Indispensable Experiences from 23 SharePoint MVPs Kindle Nook    Sony Reader

iPhone/Mac Development

These are now available:

Beginning iOS 4 Application Development    Nook  iBooks  Sony Reader
Beginning iPad Application Development kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning iPhone SDK Programming with Objective-C Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Beginning Mac OS X Snow Leopard Programming Kindle     Sony Reader
Professional Cocoa Application Security Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Professional iPhone and iPad Application Development Kindle Nook    Sony Reader
Professional iPhone and iPad Database Application Programming Kindle  Nook   Sony Reader
Professional iPhone Programming with MonoTouch and .NET/C# Kindle Nook   Sony Reader
Professional Mobile Web Development with WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal Kindle
Professional Xcode 3 Kindle   iBooks Sony Reader
Safari and WebKit Development for iPhone OS 3.0 Kindle Nook iBooks Sony Reader
Wrox iPhone and Mac eBook Bundle – includes the 4 books 1. Safari and WebKit Development for iPhone OS 3.0 2. Beginning iPhone SDK Programming with Objective-C 3. Professional Xcode 3 4. Beginning Mac OS X Snow Leopard Programming Kindle Nook   Sony Reader

Other Topics

These are books outside of those 2 clusters that are available:

Q&A

When will XYZ retailer have this book? The fastest retailers are taking 2-4 weeks to get our ebooks into their systems for sales. Others are taking longer. We don’t control that.

Why not all of your books? Sometime in spring or summer this year, we will be ramped up to do all of our new books in these formats. But as hard as it is to believe, there is actual work, cost, and time in outputting, reviewing, and approving each format. It’s not a simple "batch convert" of a directory full of book files. So we’re building the capacity to do more. After that, we’ll selectively add some already published books.

What device can I read my ePubs on? We want to work with as many retailers who are selling epubs to make them available on as many devices as possible. However, other big shocker coming, programming books may not be the highest priority for a lot of retailers to add to their ePub stores.

Tags:

Comments

15 responses to “More Wrox Books in Kindle, iBooks, Sony Reader, and Nook Formats”

1. Chaim Krause says:

Another example of listening to your customers. Thank you again for making these improvements. These efforts will at least make me more inclined to purchase a Wrox title in the future, and I am sure for others as well.

2. Wes Hsu says:

I concur with Chaim. Lately, I’ve been buying more and more electronic-only versions of books (PDF). But, I would much prefer to have them in ePub format (yes, for use on my iPad). Thank you, Wrox, for listening to your customers. I will be looking at Wrox first for my technical book needs.

3. Jeff says:

If I have purchased a hard copy of a Wrox book, can I obtain a ePub version at no cost?

4. jminatel says:

Jeff: No we don’t have any system or plans to sell/provide epubs directly. We’re working on a plan to be able to sell print books plus our DRM-free PDFs together with a discount versus the 2 separately, and I’m really hopeful that will get launched this year. But right now, PDF is the only e-format we sell directly. ePubs, Mobi, etc are only sold through 3rd party retailers.

5. Gareth says:

Hi there,
    I’ve just viewed Amazon.com for the Kindle version of "Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010".
    Why on earth does the electronic version of the book cost $11 MORE than the print version?!?
    It makes absolutely no sense! How can a digital edition cost more than a printed version?

6. jminatel says:

Gareth: I’d suggest watching their price for a few days, maybe 1-2 weeks. For some reason, the prices always start off at this 20% discount and then soon, they’re discounted more like 40-45% which makes them a few dollars cheaper then print. I wish I had an explanation but this is just what I see.

7. Gareth says:

Excellent, thanks for that tip. I shall check back again in about 3 weeks, just to be sure 😉

8. Nico de Jong says:

I’m watching Randy his SP2010 branding book ever since introduction. It dropped USD 7 or so — I believe it was almost 20 USD more expensive!

I do dont want to watch the price all the time, I want to buy and read the book. If USD 50 is the price, then so be it – I understand it is a good book – but if I might check Amazon during the course of a couple of week I might be paying USD 20 less.

If Amazon discounts the price gradually during lets say 2 yrs and does this for print and ebook I would understand, but this is just annoying.

As a publisher you should be able to raise this issue with Amazon. I’m willing to pay USD30 for a Kindle version and USD 45 for a printed.

9. Sin Min says:

Still waiting for Professional Team Foundation Server 2010 to be made available in iBooks. Any idea when is this going to happen?

10. Vladimir says:

Hi!

As I understand there is mobi/epub version of ebook ‘Professional ASP.NET Design Patterns’, but Wrox publisher doesnt issue it for download. I bought this ebook and can get only pdf-version that very unconvenient fo me 🙁 I needs mobile versions of book.

At the same time if i’ve bought this book on oreilly.com (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780470292785) I’ll got mobi/epub version of book by default.

Tell me please Why Wrox dosnt get mobi/epub version?
    Does I right understand Wrox ebook shop doesnt cater for mobile readers?

Thanks.

11. Kevin says:

I am interested in purchasing a Kindle for a Beginning C# class I will start soon. Our text is Wrox Beginning Visual C# 2010. I already purchased this book on amazon, but am reluctant to purchase a kindle and get the Wrox e-book for my new Kindle. Will I be able to make notes in the e-book? Does anyone else have any suggestions or reviews – should I stick with the hard copy? What are the benefits of having Kindle/E-Book for instructional computer programming books. Do the illustrations look good on the Kindle?  Thanks, Kevin

12. jminatel says:

Kevin: Great questions. My thoughts:
    The Kindle or any ebook reader is a great investment for any student. Huge advantage that if you buy 10, 20, 100 Kindle books over the course of your studies, you can have them all on your device at once to refer to at any time. A year from now when you’re stuck remembering something about C#, you won’t have to search for your print copy.
    Yes, you can take notes in the Kindle version. Note taking is not as fast or easy as writing though. You may want to look at one in a retail store or borrow a friend’s Kindle to use the keyboard and see how not taking works.
    The illustrations in our newer books (including this Beginning Visual C# 2010 book look good). Not as good as paper, but more than good enough.

Good luck!

13. Kevin says:

Thanks jmintel. That was good info! I’ll consider buying a Kindle. Do you recommend the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi or just Wi-Fi? Thanks

14. jminatel says:

I’d spring the extra few bucks for 3G. I’ve got Wi-Fi personally and can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a airport or somewhere else with goofy Wi-Fi security that the wi-fi wouldn’t connect to. Over the 3-4 year life at least of your Kindle, the few bucks is worth better connection options.

15. Kevin says:

Thanks! I haven’t bought one yet. I’ll see if any students in my class are using one. For now, I’ll just carry that brick. Thx.